What is Citicoline?
Citicoline is originally developed in Japan which is used for the treatment of stroke then later on, it is prescribed as a drug in many European countries. Citicoline is now out in the market as capsule, tablet, powder and pill forms and it serves as a dietary supplement in the USA while considered as a drug in other countries to help people with cerebral ischemia (insufficient blood flow to the brain). It is branded as Zynapse, Citicolina, Citicoline Asia, and Somazina and it is generically known as CDP-Choline, citicolina, and CDPC (IS).
CDP-choline or simply citicholine belongs to the family of nootropics and is a choline-containing phospholipid together with Alpha-GPC and Phosphatidylcholines which can be orally supplemented. Citicoline occurs in the body naturally with higher amounts specifically in the liver and brain tissues; however, it is insufficient therefore it needs supplementation. CDP-choline has two main components namely cytidine and choline. Upon ingestion of citicoline, it is converted to cytidine and choline then later on; cytidine is converted to uridine.
- As a nootropic, it contributes to the improvement of the brain’s performance specifically long-term memory, learning capacity, recalling, attention span and concentration. Moreover, it can intensify motivation and confidence.
- As a Central nervous system (CNS) stimulant-it accelerates mental and physical activities of the body.
- As a Peripheral Vasodilator- it is used to treat conditions that affect the blood vessels especially in arms and legs.
- Furthermore, it can increase blood flow and oxygen utilization in the brain avoiding the occurrence of cerebral ischemia (insufficiency of blood flow in the brain leading to limited oxygen supply that can further result to death of the brain tissues, cerebral infarction and ischemic stroke).
- It is neuroprotective for it can protect the brain from head trauma, and even decrease brain tissue damage due to brain injury and other neurodegenerative disease like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
- It can also improve some of the age-related problems like memory loss
- Can be used as a treatment for glaucoma. In an Italian study, they found out that it impedes glaucoma development.
- Can be a supplement for stroke recovery.
- Further studies say that it can improve erection and enhance libido
Generally, the recommended dosage is 250-500 mg a day. It is advisable to take citicoline supplement in the morning due to its energy boosting effect and better start with a low dose. It can be taken orally, or by injection and intravenous.
Citicoline Side Effects:
When you encounter the following side effects, you should reduce your dosage or take few days off.
- insomnia (occurs when supplement is taken in the evening)
- elevated body temperature
This is not advisable for children, pregnant and lactating women. Check whether you have an allergy, suffering from hypertonia of the parasympathetic nervous system and renal and hepatic damage to avoid unwanted and serious results.