Fruits and Vegetables are said to be the greatest source of natural nutrients which would help the body achieve good health. A lot of studies provide several evidences of which and a new break through opened a new hope in the possible treatment of one of the scariest disease world worldwide, it is Indole-3 Carbinol.
Indole 3 Carbinol (I3C) is an organic material found in plants and considered as a phytochemical which means that it has the ability to prevent several diseases. Cruciferous plants such as broccoli, collards, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, mustards and turnips are rich in Indole 3 Carbinol. However, it is not obtained directly as Indole-3 Carbinol, it undergoes a process.
Cruciferous plants naturally contain the substance I3G which is also a phytochemical and has a little cancer-fighting property. When a cruciferous plant is cut, chewed or cooked, an enzyme is released and converts I3G (Indole 3 Glucosinolate) to I3C (Indole3 Carbinol) which shows a great potential and is being researched as a potential treatment for cancer. Indole 3 Carbinol is a member of the so called Glucosinolates family; these compounds are anti-oxidants and have natural detoxifying property which is really helpful in improving health.
Indole 3 Carbinol (I3C) is now being used as a supplement and as a medication of several types of cancer. Indole 3 Carbinol is an anti-oxidant;having the ability to fight free radicals that may deteriorate the health of a certain person. It is also being researched by many organizations to put out its utmost potential in the treatment of cancer.
Benefits of Indole 3 Carbinol
- Indole 3 Carbinol is being used as a cancer treatment particularly breast and prostate cancers for both in men and women. Indole 3 Carbinol prevents cancer from occurring and it could also stop the growth of tumors corning to some studies.
- Indole 3 Carbinol has the ability to boost the repair of damaged protein BRCA; defective BRCA may lead to the increase of possibility in developing cancer.
- Indole 3 Carbinol, in some accounts is noted to aid in the detoxification of the liver and aids in maintaining normal cell reproduction.
- Indole 3 Carbinol is also said to aid in the maintenance of hormonal balance between men and women.
- Indole 3 Carbinol increases the death of cancer cells.
- Indole 3 Carbinol is also being claimed to be helpful in having lean body mass and losing weight but there are no sufficient evidences.
The benefits are written above however the evidences are not sufficient. If you are planning to have it as a supplement, it is the best to consult your physician.
Dosing and Safety of Indole 3 Carbinol
Indole 3 Carbinol is considered to be safe in all of the people using it or the people who have them in their diet. The safe dosing is 200-400 mg per day; some studies also claim that 200 mg is as effective as any higher dose.
Indole 3 Carbinol is a natural substance but may also cause side effects; Indole 3 Carbinol may give skin rashes if it is taken in a normal dose but if a person took too much, it may lead to nausea and involuntary muscle movements (twitching). In some studies, it is also being claimed that Indole 3 Carbinol may cause cancer itself when it is taken in the long run.
Pregnant and nursing women are not allowed to take this as a supplement. If you are undergoing a certain medical treatment and would like to use Indole 3 Carbinol as a supplement, it is the best to consult your physician.
In addition, since Indole 3 Carbinol is naturally found in plants, it is also important to add more fruits and vegetables in your diet.