In the past, humans relied entirely on natural ingredients to cleanse the scalp and hair. But now, with more and more brands launching new shampoos, we no longer need to spend the time and effort to make shampoos to cleanse our hair. But some of the ingredients in these synthetic shampoos may contain harmful chemicals that can, to some extent, be detrimental to the health and appearance of your hair. Prolonged use may also have adverse effects on our overall health. A shampoo made with three ancient natural ingredients, Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai, can be used as a remedy to help nourish our hair and protect it from all kinds of damage. So today, Nutri Avenue is going to detail the specific benefits and practices of this natural shampoo in this post.
Why Use Homemade Natural Shampoo?
Knowing the benefits of natural shampoos is very necessary. There are more and more types of brand shampoos on the market, and more and more choices are available for people. But at the same time, the low-quality shampoo of the small workshop style is also quietly listed. Unwitting consumers ignore certain toxic chemicals contained in these synthetic shampoos, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), Parahydroxyl Parabens, fragrances, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), etc. Over the years, these substances can seriously damage the scalp and cause a number of hair problems, including dandruff, dryness, frizz, split ends, premature graying, hair loss, and more. In severe cases, the harmful chemicals in these shampoos can cause mild to serious health problems and can even be fatal. Therefore, opting for herbal or homemade natural shampoos instead of these chemically-treated shampoos is a safe way to protect your hair and address hair problems.
What Are Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai Shampoos?
This shampoo is a herbal blend that has been used as a natural shampoo for hair since ancient times. And it contains three simple ancient herbs, just like the shampoos’ name: Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai. They have many useful applications in hair care medicines. These ingredients have active ingredients that deeply nourish the hair fiber and stimulate its growth exponentially. Additionally, as natural ingredients, Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai are gentle enough. They can retain the hair’s natural oils and maintain its natural texture for a healthy shine and beautiful appearance. Therefore, you can avoid your own hair problems by using Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai shampoos regularly. In the meantime, you don’t need to worry about whether your hair is suitable for this shampoo because it is suitable for all different hair types regardless of length, texture, and condition.
What Are The Benefits of Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai for Hair?
Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai are herbal fruits widely used in hair combinations or alone. Before we learn to make homemade shampoos, it is necessary to understand the composition and function of these ingredients to help users have a more comprehensive understanding of whether they are beneficial to hair. Here’s the start:
Amla, or we always know as Amalaki and Phyllanthus Emblica, is a berry-like edible fruit taken from small to medium deciduous trees belonging to the Phyllanthaceae. Light yellow-green spherical fruit with a smooth, slightly hard surface, with six vertical stripes or grooves. It is rather fibrous and has an astringent and sour taste. Amla has been used as an effective remedy for hair loss and graying for a long time. The following reasons make it very useful in natural hair care:
- It consists of many essential fatty acids which can help to nourish and moisturize the hair. So, they can penetrate the scalp to eliminate dryness and resolve dandruff, itchy scalp, and more.
- It is rich in protein, flavonoids, vitamins, and minerals, providing ample nourishment for hair fiber. And these substances help prevent hair loss and promote healthy hair growth.
- The amazing antioxidant effectively strengthens the roots of the hair fibers. And it also repairs damaged hair cells and protects them from further oxidative stress, thereby stimulating hair fiber growth.
- It acts as a conditioner that strengthens the hair roots and hydrates them thoroughly. This leaves the hair soft and smooth and gives it a natural shine and elasticity.
- Since it keeps the scalp healthy and improves the function of hair cells, it is effective in treating premature graying and hair loss.
Reetha or Sapindus Mukorossi is a drupe of the Sapindus genus. The Lisa tree belongs to the Sapindaceae family and has 5-12 species of shrubs and small trees, including deciduous and evergreen trees. Small leathery-skinned, yellow drupes contain 1 to 3 seeds that turn black when ripe. Reetha is an effective hair cleanser that keeps your scalp healthy by removing infection-causing microorganisms.
- The presence of natural surfactants called saponins makes Lisa an excellent natural cleanser. It effectively removes all dirt, grime, and buildup from the scalp.
- It cannot irritate the scalp and is more beneficial to the hair than other chemical cleansers used in commercial shampoos.
- The antimicrobial properties of Reetha help to remove microbes from the scalp, thus preventing scalp infections and itching.
- It also contains a mass of active ingredients, including antioxidants, to nourish hair and keep it healthy and smooth.
- Regular use of Reetha adds shine to hair and restores its natural texture while adding a lot of volumes naturally.
- Thanks to its cleansing properties, you can also get rid of dandruff and lice over time.
Shikakai, also called Acacia Concinna. And it is also known as the ultimate “hair fruit” and is derived from a climbing shrub native to Asia. This Ayurvedic medicinal plant has been used for hair care throughout the Indian subcontinent since ancient times. Shikakai Extract is used in traditional natural shampoos and hair powders and added to their synthetic Ayurvedic counterparts. They are made by drying different parts of the plant in the sun, such as the bark, leaves, and pods. Then, grind them into a fine powder. Add water if needed. Shikakai helps to care for our hair, so there are many reasons to use this ingredient in hair care medicines.
- As a mild ingredient with a naturally low PH, Shikakai gently cleanses the hair while preserving the hair’s natural oils.
- It is full of antioxidant vitamin C and many essential phytonutrients that nourish hair follicles and promote hair growth.
- When it nourishes the scalp and hair roots, the dryness and itching of the scalp are reduced.
- Shikakai is a powerful anti-dandruff agent that protects the scalp from other types of infections.
- It also effectively strengthens and deep-conditions hair. As a result, hair fall is controlled, and excellent volume is obtained.
- Continued use of Shikakai leaves hair naturally healthy, soft, shiny, and bouncy.
Homemade Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai Shampoo Recipe
Making this great natural shampoo at home is easier than you might think.
- Soak 5-6 Reetha pods, 6-7 pieces of Shikakai, and some freshly chopped amla in 500ml of water. Soak overnight.
- The next day, heat this mixture. Please turn off the heat when the mixture starts to boil.
- Let the mixture cool, then using a blender, puree the ingredients.
- At this point, you’ll notice a lot of lather in the process, indicating that the shampoo is getting all the benefits of these ingredients.
- Strain the mixture, discard any remaining ingredients, and use the liquid mixture as a shampoo.
How to Use Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai Shampoo?
- Once you’re ready to use your own natural Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai shampoo, apply it properly to get the most out of it.
- Wet your hair first, then apply the desired amount of shampoo to your scalp.
- Massage gently with fingertips for 3-4 minutes, then work slowly towards the ends.
- Set it aside for a little while, and then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
This shampoo does not lather well but cleanses the scalp and hair well. Make sure to rinse off all herbal debris when washing your hair. If your hair is very dry, you can use some hibiscus powder or mild conditioner on your hair.
What Happens After Using Shampoo?
There is one thing you should know it may take a few months or more for your hair to adjust to this mild paraben and sulfate-free shampoo, depending on your hair type. But you can still feel its benefits from the first use.
You’ll first notice that the amount of hair you normally lose with each wash has been significantly reduced. All dirt, dust, grime, and excess oil will eventually be removed from your scalp. Also, the strands will be separated from each other instead of staying soft, making your hair look more voluminous. Hair will also look healthier and shinier.
- Can I use this shampoo on oily hair?
Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai shampoos are suitable for all hair types. But if you think your hair is too greasy, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of fuller or bentonite clay to the mixture. This will effectively remove all excess oil from the scalp.
- Can I use this shampoo on dry hair?
You can use this shampoo on dry and damaged hair without worry. However, if your hair is too dry, you can add a tablespoon of marshmallow or fenugreek seed powder to the shampoo mixture. These super moisturizing natural ingredients will deeply hydrate your hair.
- Should I condition my hair after shampooing?
The natural conditioning power of Shikakai will keep your hair soft, smooth, and manageable. Therefore, there is no need to use conditioning products immediately after shampooing. But if you have very curly hair, you can use a pea-sized amount of coconut oil on the lower third of your hair.
- Where do you get shampoo ingredients?
Choosing Nutri Avenue is an excellent way to buy supplements at a wholesale price, such as Amla and Strontium Citrate. And you also can make purchase other ingredients to help with a range of hair problems.
All our products are recognized by entities like Kosher, Halal, and GMP. At the same time, Nutri Avenue is an online FDA-registered supplier. Therefore, please don’t worry about the quality. Just tell us what you need.