If you are an athlete, a body builder or a person who wants to have a vigorous lifestyle, then L-Ornithine HCL might interest you. L-Ornithine might be the supplement that would help you get more energy and lean muscle.
What is L-Ornithine HCL?
L-Ornithine HCL is a non-essential amino acid; it means that it is naturally produced in the body. L-Ornithine HCL is classified as a non-protein; suggesting that it has a different function compared to the other amino acids. L-Ornithine is not considered as a building block of protein but it has other roles which help the body to stay in shape: it aids the body in removing body waste. In the body, the cells break down proteins and other nitrogen-containing compounds which results to the production of ammonia. Ammonia is a hazardous chemical which could harm the body when it is not removed in the system. At this moment, it is where the process Urea Cycle or Ornithine Cycle comes in; this process takes place in the liver cells. In this cycle, ammonia is converted into Urea (another harmful chemical but weaker than ammonia) which then is excreted through the kidneys as a waste product. L-Ornithine is a principal part of the Urea cycle; this is the reason why urea Cycle is also called as the Ornithine Cycle. When ornithine could not participate in the cycle, ammonia could be distributed to the blood stream and may result to serious cases such as ornithine transcarbamylase deficiency and other serious cases. Thus, this suggests that L-Ornithine is really very important in maintaining our normal physiological functions and a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of L-Ornithine HCL
As mentioned above, L-Ornithine HCL has great roles in maintaining our normal body functions, let us look deeper into the other benefits it could provide when taken inside the body.
- L-Ornithine is used to decrease fatigue. In a study, it was proven that L-ornithine could increase physical performance and endurance; it is also claimed that Ornithine helps in the effective energy utilization of cells making it a potential supplement to fight fatigue.
- L-Ornithine is also used in body building and in boosting energy. In some accounts, they say that Ornithine increases muscle mass and boost energy which suggests that Ornithine could also be used in improving athletic performance.
- L-ornithine also aids in reducing ammonia concentrations in the liver and the brain, when ammonia is concentrated in the brain and in the liver this may lead to Hepatic Encephalopathy which affects cognitive functions.
- L-ornithine in some way increases the level of growth hormone and it is also being used to increase muscle mass.
- In a study, L-ornithine is also said to have good effects in wound healing for its ability to produce collagen faster, collagen is an important compound responsible in the formation of connective tissues.
- L-Ornithine has the ability to cross the blood brain barrier and it showed a positive effect on the brain, it has the ability to decrease anxiety. However, further studies are needed to prove this effect on humans.
- In some accounts, L-Ornithine is also claimed to have effects in weight loss for it increases metabolism, it aids the functions of the liver for its ability to cleanse ammonia and L-Ornithine has anti-aging effects as well.
In addition, L- Ornithine could also be taken together with the other amino acids such as L-Arginine. On the other hand, L-Ornithine and L-Arginine work well together, both of them are involved in the Urea cycle and both of them give beneficial effects in boosting growth hormone and in building muscles. These two non-essential amino acids could also take separately.
Dosage and Side effects of L-Ornithine
The recommended dosage of L-Ornithine to be taken in a day is in a range of 2-6 grams. Gastrointestinal discomfort (stomach upset, diarrhea, cramps) may follow when intake is higher the 10 grams.
Pregnant and lactating women should not take L-ornithine supplements to ensure safety. Consult your physician before taking it as a supplement.