What is Meclofenamate
It is the product of two compounds namely DMAE (dimethylethanolamine) and PCPA (parachlorophenoxyacetic acid) and can be bought over-the counter in France for it is where it was first discovered and developed. Furthermore, it is considered to be more potent than DMAE for it is the carrier of the benefits of DMAE with higher bioavailability and even can be a choline-source.
It is in the market having the brand names of Centrophenoxine and Lucidril which is considered to be a nootropic and anti-aging supplement.
Benefits of Meclofenamate:
- Cholinergic and source of choline making it work as powerful memory enhancer due to increase in acetylcholine
- Increases bioavailability of DMAE in the brain. Upon oral administration, part of Centrophenoxine is broken down to produce DMAE and PCPA in which DMAE is converted to choline by adding methyl group which happens in the liver. The rest of Centrophenoxine went through the brain and heart. When compared with the mechanisms of action of DMAE, DMAE alone has lower bioavailability but when mixed with Centrophenoxine, it produced higher level of DMAE in the brain.
- Anti-aging. Based on pre-clinical studies, it was found out that it can lessen lipofuscin levels in the brain cells. The higher the lipofuscin level (biochemical waste product/ aging pigment), the greater chance of worsening of Alzheimer’s disease. Moreover, it can fight free radicals in the brain which causes the damage in the brain and therefore anti-oxidant.
- Smart Drug. Improves memory, alertness and serve as brain energy booster. Based on preclinical study, learning and retention was improved after 7 consecutive days of oral administration which even lasted for longer span of time even administration was temporarily stopped.
- Furthermore, it can improve the some conditions such as memory disturbance, concentration, fatigue, and confusion states especially for older people as was proven in a study done with geriatric patients.
- Treatment for Neurodegenerative Diseases. It is sold over-the-counter as supplements for Alzheimer’s dementia, ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and even for those suffering from memoryloss and decline.
- Possible treatment of stroke and brain injury
- Clinical studies show no tolerance build up on this product therefore safe.
- Preclinical studies state that it can increase life span of laboratory animals for it can protect their brains form lack of oxygen though in a lower chance.
- Can lessen dyskinesic movements in clinical studies and even improve their health conditions and memory.
Side Effects of Meclofenamate:
When the following happens, it is best to temporarily stop taking meclofenamate then continue after a week in a lower dosage
- Nausea (especially when taken with empty stomach therefore recommended after meal)
- Gastrointestinal problems
Dosage of Meclofenamate:
It is recommended to take 250mg twice a day; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. As the body adapts, it can go even higher up to 1000mg a day.
People suffering from the following conditions are not allowed to use Centrophenoxine:
- Pregnant and nursing women for it may cause birth defects
- Easily excitable people
- With severe hypertension/high blood pressure
Finally, it can be safely stack with some nootropics especially Racetams like Piracetam, Aniracetam, Pramiracetam and others and even Noopept for they both boost brain’s utilization of acetylcholine resulting to better results in the memory and learning while lessening the side effects brought about by racetams.