Learning About L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate
It’s no secret that amino acids build muscle and improve athletic performance. They may be even more useful when combined with other ingredients. That was the idea behind the original formulation of L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate.
AAKG powder, also known as arginine-alpha-ketoglutarate, is a hydrochloric acid combination of arginine and alpha-ketoglutarate. It is superior to many other forms of arginine. It comprises two molecules of arginine linked to one molecule of alpha-ketoglutarate.
Arginine can promote NO production, dilate blood vessels, enhance blood flow, and maintain oxygen and nutrient delivery. It can promote post-exercise energy recovery and long-term exercise endurance. Therefore, those familiar with it call it a “nitric oxide booster.” Alpha-ketoglutarate is a substance formed during the body’s energy production process.
In other words, AAKG is an important functional derivative of arginine. It has higher bioavailability and better efficacy than arginine.
- Promote athletic performance: Clinical double-blind experiments show that AAKG promotes athletic endurance and strength, especially in weightlifting.
- Increase muscle strength: Arginine can dilate blood vessels and support the oxidative production capacity of muscle cells.
It is not found in food. AAKG is derived only from dietary supplements. As a sports supplement, the typical dosage of L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate is 4g x 3 times/day.
3 Common AAKG Powder Production Processes
L-Arginine-Alpha-Ketoglutarate generally has two ratios, including AAKG Powder 1:1 and AAKG Powder 2:1.
On the market, there are three main preparation processes for AAKG, including direct mixing, freeze-drying, and crystallization.
The direct mixing method is simply mixing equal molar amounts of L-arginine and α-ketoglutaric acid powders. The preparation method is simple and low in ingredients. It is the most common method of commercial production. However, the product produced by this method is not crystalline. There are no salt bonds between the two raw materials. Therefore, the quality of the ingredients is affected by the quality of the raw materials and the uniformity of the mix.
The freeze-drying method involves mixing and dissolving L-arginine and α-ketoglutaric acid powders in equal moles. The solution is then freeze-dried into freeze-dried powder. This process can produce relatively stable crystalline AAKG Powder. However, the product will have problems such as uncontrollable crystal form and high energy consumption in the freeze-drying process. Therefore, this method is generally used to produce AAKG injections.
The most common preparation process of L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate is as follows.
- Prepare the raw materials for arginine and glutaric acid. Arginine can be produced by enzymatic or chemical synthesis. Glutaric acid can be prepared by oxidizing pentanol or valeraldehyde.
- Add arginine and glutaric acid into the reaction kettle in a certain molar ratio, such as 1:1 or 2:1. Add an appropriate amount of solvent, like water or organic solvent. At the same time, add a catalyst (such as sulfuric acid). It should be noted that the reaction temperature and reaction time must be controlled during the process. The reaction usually lasts at 50-100 degrees Celsius for several hours.
- After the reaction is completed, the reaction mixture is crystallized and separated. The product crystallization can be promoted by controlling temperature and solvent concentration. The solid product is then isolated by filtration or centrifugation.
- Wash and dry the separated solid product. Washing removes impurities. Commonly used detergents include water, organic solvents, etc. Drying can use methods such as vacuum drying or heating drying.
- Finally, the dried arginine-ketoglutaric acid is refined, such as recrystallization, solvent extraction, etc., to improve the purity.
The processes for preparing AAKG Powder are not limited to the above three. There are also some patented inventions in the preparation process of this ingredient. For example, L-Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate powder is prepared by direct crystallization from fermentation broth.
L-arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, an important derivative form of L-arginine, has higher bioavailability than L-arginine powder. Athletes and fitness enthusiasts often use it to increase muscle mass. It also can strengthen and improve athletic performance. Additionally, it can be used to treat conditions such as cardiovascular disease, liver disease, and muscle damage. In addition, L-arginine-α-ketoglutarate powder is also widely used in beauty, which can improve skin quality and delay aging.
This ingredient usually has three preparation processes, including direct mixing, freeze-drying, and crystallization. Among them, the crystallization method is the most popular. In addition, there are also some patented manufacturing processes of AAKG Powder on the market. It can be seen that the manufacturing of this ingredient on the market is already very mature.