The three dietary amino acids name L-Arginine, L-ornithine and L-Citruline assist in the urea cycle of the body. Particularly, L-Citruline is produced by the body and can also be acquired by eating watermelon. L- Citrulin helps increase the amount of citrulin in the body which results to a normal body function especially in metabolism and in the liver. It is further said that it is more potent than arginine itself for if the body needs more arginine, then it is preferred to take in L-Citrulline than Arginine.Why? Because citrulline is the acting reservoir of arginine in the body. Moreover, L-Citrulline is important for the general health of humans.
What are the health benefits of L-Citrulline?
- It is good for the health of the heart and blood vessels. L- citrulline helps in the production of nitric acid in the body therefore aiding the arteries to relax and work better that leads to a good flow of blood all over the body.
- Though it is a new discovery that it helps men with erectile dysfunction (ED), a lot already tried it and found out that it is effective too. It is said that is has some properties that can intensify erectile strength and hardening. It can provide erection with sufficient quality for penetration.
- It can also treat urea cycle disorder which is its main function. Citrulline supplementation can increase the production rate of urea and waste nitrogen excretion in (urea cycle disorder)UCD so that the toxic ammonia and nitrogen metabolites can be converted to non-toxic compound urea going to the liver through the urea cycle.
- Furthermore, L- citrulline increases ornithine and arginine plasma content which can improve the ammonia recycling process and nitric acid oxide metabolism. Then, after supplementing, L-citrulline is converted to arginine which is done by the kidney.
- L-citrulline malate, consists of citrulline, is used by athletes to enhance their performance. How to obtain this? Eat watermelon and apples plus citrulline supplement to have higher absorption to use in aerobic performance. Furthermore, this is used traditionally by Europeans for fatigue and muscle weakness and in modern days, this was proven to be true. It is now considered as a natural antiasthenics and it resulted positive that it boosts energy of a person and even their mood.
Are there any side effects of this supplement?
A lot of studies claim that L-citrulline has no side effects but according to some studies, L-citrulline can cause migraine but not so much evidence is presented to support this claim.
What is the recommended dosage of L-citrulline?
L-citrulline is taken in different dosage depending on the purpose or disease. It is advisable to take 1g of citrulline 3 times a day (3 Grams daily) when you have Erectile Dysfunction (ED). While for enhancing sports performance, take 6-8 grams of citrulline malate to be taken an hour before you do workouts. Finally, for circulatory health like blood pressure, cholesterol and heart problems, you are advised to take 2-3 grams of Citrulline 3 times a day.
Just a warning for those who are attempting to use L-citrulline with other drugs, it is not advisable to take it with Nitrates for blood pressure and Cialis, Levitra or Viagra (ED medicines) for it can cause dropping of blood pressure. Also, people with kidney disease shouldn’t take this. So, be careful. Furthermore, it is not also suitable for pregnant and nursing women for them to be on the safe side. Always consult the health care provider before taking it.
This product is sold with a name of Citrulline malate. And it can last for 2 years when placed in a cool dry place.