What is Sucralose?
Sugar and sweets are the things people can’t avoid for it gives a feeling of satisfaction especially in times of stress or on special occasions. However, we can’t deny that these foods may cause diseases which maybe chronic and may cause obesity for sweets raise calories in the body. This is the reason why the discoveries of low and non-caloric sweeteners are unraveled to answer this problem. The newest discovery is the sweetener Sucralose.
Sucralose was discovered accidentally while two scientists were working on an experiment and later was patented and being sold in the market as a product which tastes like sugar but it’s not sugar. Sucralose is a sweetener which is derived from sugar and it is believed to be 600 times sweeter than sugar. It is also considered to be non-caloric, for it contains no calories so it is then believed to be a great help in maintaining healthy levels of sugar in the body. It is also being used in many products such as juice and energy drinks and even in baking. Sucralose tastes like sugar and it is being used by many manufacturers as a sweetener for it does not give undesirable after taste. Sucralose was also studied both on humans and animals and was then approved by the FDA and other organizations as safe for human consumption for it has undergone a lot of studies and researches. It is considered as the safest artificial sugar manufactured especially when it is compared to saccharin, an artificial sweetener which was noted to contain a cancer causing substance.
What makes Sucralose interesting is that when it is taken in the body, it remains as sucralose. It does not change even though it passes through the digestive tract and it is never metabolized in the body; this means that Sucralose enters the body as Sucralose and it goes out as Sucralose through urine or through the feces. This is because, the body doesn’t metabolize it.
Benefits of Sucralose
Let us look into the different benefits Sucralose may offer in the body and the environment as well.
- Sucralose contains no calories; this means that people who are losing weightof enjoy sweet foods without being worried of adding levels of calories in their system.
- Sucralose has a great taste and there is no undesirable after taste making it a great sweetener in juices, energy drinks and other products.
- Sucralose was approved by the FDA to be safe for human consumption as a sweetener.
- Sucralose does not affect the blood sugar so it is being claimed to be safe to people with diabetes.
- Sucralose may aid in the reduction of weight but it should be accompanied with good diet and exercise.
- Sucralose could also be used in baking and in coating supplementsand other medicines.
- Sucralose is also proven to be safe for the environment for it does not cause any harm in the environment and to the animals as well.
Safety of Sucralose
Sucralose is also proven to be safe to all consumers, old and young, it does not give any side effects as validated by the FDA. However, in other recent researches, it is being said that it also contain cancer-causing substances, kills good bacteria and it could even cause stomach pain. Some of these studies say that on the present studies made on rats, there is really a great possibility that it may cause cancer. It also claimed that Sucralose maybe safer than saccharin but it may also give negative sides. These claims might not be proven but it is better to be careful and stay on the safe side meaning: do not to consume too much.