Cancer is probably the name you won’t love to hear while in a hospital for a checkup for it is the disease that claimed lives of the young and old and to make it worst, medications are not yet available to completely eradicate cancer cells.
In some studies concerning the treatment of cancer, a new hope has emerged, it is Ellagic Acid. Though there are no studies proving its efficacy in human studies but studies and researches based on mice show a ray of hope.
What is Ellagic Acid?
Ellagic Acid is an acid that is formed through a process when Gallic acid and hexahydroxypenoyl (HHDP) are connected to the glucose centers to create the ellagitannins. Ellagic acid then is formed as HHDP cleaves from tannin molecules and continues to rearrange. This process is done in the digestive tract. This suggests that ellagic acid is not naturally found in plants but the compounds ellagitannins are. Ellagitannins contains ellagic acid which is considered an anti-oxidant and a phenolic compound and currently being used in several medications and in researches for its further development as a cancer medication.
In different researches, Ellagic Acid is said to have anti-oxidant, anti-mutagenic and anti-cancer properties, with this characteristics, it can be a potential treatment for cancer but there are no sufficient evidences to back this up. On the other hand, positive results from ellagic acid are being garnered from different studies using animals. In addition, ellagitannins are also found in plants such as raspberries, strawberries, pomegranate and walnuts but the red raspberries noted to have great amount of ellagitannins which contain ellagic Acid.
Though there are insufficient evidences about ellagic acid, let us still discuss the probable benefits it could to the human body.
Benefits of Ellagic Acid
- Ellagic acid has anti-oxidant properties; it has the ability to fight free radicals in the body.
- Ellagic acid has anti-cancer properties, in studies Ellagic acid is said to stop the attachment of carcinogens with the DNA terminating the spread of cancer cells in the body.
- Ellagic acid has anti-mutagenic properties; Ellagic acid hinders the transmutation of cancer cells stopping the growth of cancer. Ellagic acid stops the growth of tumors.
- Ellagic acid has the ability called apoptosis of cancer cell or the death of cancer cells in a normal way.
- In a human study, Ellagic acid is claimed to decrease the side effects of chemotherapy in men who have prostate cancer.
- Ellagic acid is also said to decrease the cases of birth defects and could even aid in wound healing and in decreasing heart diseases.
- Ellagic acid is also anti-bacterial and has the ability to protect the liver and improves its functions.
- Ellagic acid could also be beneficial to people with diabetes for it reduces glucose levels.
- Ellagic acid also decreases the level of estrogen, a substance that can cause breast cancer.
- Ellagic acid also has positive effects on the skin; it has anti-wrinkle properties and prevents the destruction of collagen.
Ellagic acid is considered a rummager of cancer-causing substances for it really does a lot to prevent cancer cells from growing, developing and mutating. In addition, in some accounts it is also said that Ellagic acid had positive effects on neurodegenerative diseases, slowing aging and may even prevent the development of different forms of cancer in the esophagus, pancreas, and in the colon.
Side Effects and Dosage of Ellagic acid
There are no recorded side-effects of Ellagic acid, it did not cause any harm to the healthy cells but destroys cancer cells helping the body to get rid of the cancer-causing substances. If you wish to have Ellagic acid as a supplement, consult your physician especially when you are pregnant for Ellagic acid promotes labor.
On the other hand, on the studies performed, a safe and recommended dosage is not yet established. The best way is to ask your physician to ensure safety.