The Ampakine family of Nootropics have been emerging and gaining popularity in the market taking over the first born: racetam family. Like IDRA-21, Sunifiram and Unifiram, another Ampakine member came to spotlight when it was successively used in preclinical and clinical studies resulting to positive feed backs from the subjects. S-18986 is very new in the market and some pharmaceutical companies already sponsored the current researches and studies done in this compound.
What is S-18986?
S-18986 is chemically known as (S)-2,3-dihydro-[3,4]cyclopentano-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxide and is an ampakine drug which is always associated with IDRA-21 however further investigation is done to prove its link with each other.
Benefits of S-18986:
- Cognitive Enhancer. A study measuring the form of episodic memory was done with rats in which they were given repeated oral administration of 0.3-100 mg/kg. It was found out that after the administration, these rats were able to Increase their Memoryin identifying familiar and unfamiliar objects without tolerance development. Also, it was shown that S-18986 has long-lasting effects and bioavailability is takes best through oral administration
- New Positive allosteric Modulator of AMPA-type glutamate receptors. Studies states that AMPA receptors are responsible for synaptic plasticity (changes in brain including learning and memory) and LTP (Long term Potentiation). Basing on studies, S-18986 has the ability to treat memory deficits which are linked to aging and even neurodegenerative diseases (Alzheimer’s disease) especially to old people. Furthermore, it maintains Long term potentiation in the brain (specifically Hippocampus).
- Increases loco motor activities on elderly. Through repeated oral administration of S-18986, behaviors of aged rats were changed; there is an increase in their loco motor activities, ability to improve performance in spatial memory Furthermore, it has the capacity to hinder the weakening of forebrain cholinergic neurons which is the target of AD (Alzheimer’s disease) and other memory deficits and even midbrain dopaminergic neurons in which once weakened, body would probably be prone to Parkinson’ disease.
- It has neuroprotective property in which it was observed that it has the ability to protect the brain against neonatal excitotoxic and inflammation which is done through BDNF synthesis. Furthermore, it can lessen the apoptotic cell death in the cortical grey matter in the central nervous system.
- As an ampakine, it can stimulate glutamate receptors allowing better work and release of neurotransmitter noradrenaline (norepinephrine) in the brain.
No official dosage and side effects were reported on this compound for it is still under further studies.