The Origins of Grape Fruit Seed Extract
When talking about the product, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Dr. Jacob Harich’s name is always mentioned. In 1972, this German physicist first discovered the properties of grapefruit seed extract have medicinal uses. Dr. Harich discovered that grapefruit seed extract destroys many microorganisms but still safe for human. Also, it is found that grapefruit preparation protects food against bacteria, fungi and parasites so he developed grape fruit seed extract as an antiparasitic agent. In the year 1990, physicians from USA already started to appreciate and discover more of grapefruit seed extract.
What is this Grapefruit Seed Extract?
Grapefruit seed extract is traditionally used as a disinfectant in most countries. Nowadays, grapefruit seed extract is a liquid substance which is extracted from the fruit and seeds of grapefruit, a subtropical citrus tree. Because of its properties, people use the fruit. People produce oil from the peel, and extracts from the seeds and pulp and use it as a medicine. Why use the seed? It is grapefruit seed has a number of important chemicals namely Vitamin C and E, and bioflavonoids including hesperidin. Grapefruit seed extract is made by mixing the grapefruit seeds and pulp with a thick, highly acidic liquid that result to yellow, viscous liquid which now has a strong bitter taste. To lessen its bitter taste and acidity; it is mixed with vegetable glycerin. Due to some experiments, citricidal grapefruit seed extract was produced which is a modified form of the extract. So, these days, it comes in the market as liquid concentrate, tablets and pills.
Grapefruit seed extract uses or benefits?
1. Traditionally used as a disinfectant. South America, Europe and Asia used the extract to clean their hair, skin and home surfaces and even used it as an anti-viral and anti-bacterial.
2. In relation to its traditional uses, these days, an experiment proved that it is really an anti-bacterial agent.
3. Grapefruit seed extract disrupts the bacterial membrane and liberates the cytoplasmic contents. It was also found that it is better than 30 antibiotics and 18 fungicides making it a good anti-microbial agent against infections including Candida overgrowth. Moreover, unlike other disinfectant, it is non-toxic.
4. University of Florida at Gainesville discovered that grapefruit seed extract can be an alternative to the current chemicals being used to protect fruits and vegetables from mold damage.
5. Grapefruit extract has the ability to prevent the growth of bacteria, mold, fungi and other organisms.
6. Citricidal grapefruit seed extract was proven to be effective in preventing pathogenic viruses in animals.
7. It has disease fighting properties. Due to its content, Vitamins C and E which help repair cells in the body; bioflavonoid like hesperidin, that give natural boost in the immune system through its acidity therefore restoring the stomach’s natural pH and flavonoid naringin which is a plasma lipid reducer and plasma antioxidant activator therefore lowering cholesterol level in the body.
8. It has also the ability to prevent the occurrence of colon cancer for it has anti-cancer properties.
9. It is also discovered for some potential benefits like healing wounds and scar tissue, natural preservative for cosmetics, and treatment for sinus, vaginal, topical skin infections and toenail fungal infections.
10. Nowadays, it is used as an ingredient for weight loss supplements.
Dosing Grapefruit Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract dosage: Better read the manufacturer’s instructions first for you to follow or the doctor’s advice. This is just a typical dose.
- Liquid form- taken 3x a day (10 drops in a cup of water)- almost always requires dilution
- Tablet- 3x a day (100-200mg)
- Pill- 3x a day (200mg)
Side Effects and Safety of grapefruit Seed Extract
There are no reported side effects of grape fruit but there are certain drugs that may interact with it and there are also warnings before using it.
- Statin drugs
- Estrogen (calcium channel blockers)
Warnings!!! People with an allergy of citrus, pregnant and nursing women are not allowed to take grapefruit seed extract (GSE). For the people under a specific medication, you have to consult your physician first.
Shelf-life: It may take as long as 7-9 years for tablet and powder while 6 years for liquid grape fruit extract.