Dr. Jacob Harich’s name is always mentioned when talking about the product Grapefruit Seed Extract powder. In 1972, this German physicist first discovered the properties of grapefruit seed extract that have medicinal uses. Dr. Harich discovered that grapefruit seed extract destroys many microorganisms but is still safe for humans. Also, it was found that grapefruit preparation protects food against bacteria, fungi, and parasites, so he developed grapefruit seed extract as an antiparasitic agent. In 1990, physicians from the USA started to appreciate and discover more about grapefruit seed extract.
What Is Grapefruit Seed Extract?
The grapefruit seed extract is traditionally used as a disinfectant in most countries. Nowadays, grapefruit seed extract is a liquid substance extracted from the fruit and seeds of grapefruit, a subtropical citrus tree. Because of its properties, people use the fruit. People produce oil from the peel and extracts from the seeds and pulp and use it as a medicine. Why use the seed? It is grapefruit seed has a number of important chemicals, namely Vitamins C and E, and bioflavonoids, including hesperidin. The grapefruit seed extract is made by mixing the grapefruit seeds and pulp with a thick, highly acidic liquid that results in a yellow, viscous liquid, which now has a strong bitter taste. In order to lessen its bitter taste and acidity, it is mixed with vegetable glycerin. Due to some experiments, patricidal grapefruit seed extract was produced, a modified form of the extract. So, these days, it comes in the market as a liquid concentrate, tablets, and pills.
Grapefruit Seed Extract Uses or Benefits
- Traditionally used as a disinfectant. South America, Europe, and Asia used the extract to clean their hair, skin, and home surfaces and even used it as an anti-viral and antibacterial.
- With its traditional uses, these days, an experiment proved that it is an antibacterial agent.
- Grapefruit seed extract disrupts the bacterial membrane and liberates the cytoplasmic contents. It was also found that it is better than 30 antibiotics and 18 fungicides, making it a good anti-microbial agent against infections, including Candida overgrowth. Moreover, unlike other disinfectants, it is non-toxic.
- University of Florida at Gainesville discovered that grapefruit seed extract could be an alternative to the current chemicals used to protect fruits and vegetables from mold damage.
- Grapefruit extract can prevent the growth of bacteria, mold, fungi, and other organisms.
- Citricidal grapefruit seed extract effectively prevented animal pathogenic viruses.
- It has disease-fighting properties. Due to their content, Vitamin C powder and vitamin E, which help repair cells in the body; bioflavonoids like hesperidin, which gives a natural boost to the immune system through its acidity, therefore, restoring the stomach’s natural pH and flavonoid naringin, which is a plasma lipid reducer and plasma antioxidant activator, thus, lowering cholesterol level in the body.
- It also can prevent colon cancer, for it has anti-cancer properties.
- It is also discovered for potential benefits like healing wounds and scar tissue, being a natural preservative for cosmetics, and treating sinus, vaginal, and topical skin infections and toenail fungal infections.
- Nowadays, it is used as an ingredient for weight loss supplements.
Dosing Grapefruit Seed Extract Powder
About grapefruit seed extract powder dosage, you better read the manufacturer’s instructions for you to follow or the doctor’s advice. Here is just a typical dose as follows.
- Liquid form- taken 3x a day (10 drops in a cup of water)- almost always requires dilution
- Tablet- 3x a day (100-200mg)
- Pill- 3x a day (200mg)
Side Effects and Safety of Grapefruit Seed Extract
There are no reported side effects of grapefruit, but certain drugs may interact with it, and there are also warnings before using it.
- Statin drugs
- Estrogen (calcium channel blockers)
People with an allergy to citrus and pregnant and nursing women are not allowed to take grapefruit seed extract (GSE). You must consult your physician first for people under a specific medication.
It may take as long as 7-9 years for tablet and powder and 6 years for liquid grapefruit extract.